Friday, September 21, 2007

Lower Secondary Literature: My tiny reflection


I recall the time in secondary 1 when we had to read The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck -- Mdm Chiam's class? For a first timer to thick story books, I must admit that the plot and characters in O Lan and Wang Lung made for perfect leisure reading (though NOT for exams...). I even managed to watch the movie classic of the Good Earth on channel 5 (five star rating!). A MUST Re-Read!!!!!????

Happily, the lure of Buck had led me to gobble up 3 more of her classics, viz., The Mother; Three Daughters of Madam Liang; and, Imperial Woman (about the last Empress Tzu Hsi) : all very interesting read. I hope to do more Buck novels in the next couple of years...

I also recall doing The Story of Lady Precious Stream, made out like a chinese opera/stage play. If my memory serves me right, we even had to play out the characters in Mdm Chiam's class...and she would gleefully hand out exercise books, pencils, and stationery as rewards for correct answers, etc. I even remember watching a cantonese opera performance on channel 8 on the same story (although I don't think I understood a single word of it!)


For secondary 2, I recall doing poetry (something which up until today I still don't quite know how to handle comfortably).

Nevertheless, thanks to Charanjit Singh, "The Charge of the Light Brigade" short version still rings in my head.


Have you any recollection of the books we covered during lower secondary? If yes, please post them on the blog. I seem to have a mental block and can only remember the ones above.


Till next time... Joachim

No comments: